Monday 21 December 2009

First blog

So I'm new to this, so I'm not really sure what to say, other than hello and welcome to my blog!

This is where I intend to blog to you lovely people about how my double life as a childrens' book editor/accessories designer is going, including new ideas for designs, techniques and materials. Basically it's a craft manifesto (craftifesto? Does that work?) laid out in the domain of the interweb, blending age-old manufacturing techniques with 21st century technology. Geddit? Good, as I think I'm waffling a load of bobbins, and if you've followed me thus far it will stand you in good stead to continue.

So this weekend was a mixed bag really. Finally, finally, FINALLY managed to make a profit at the London Designer Makers sale this weekend, and while it was only £32.50 it still restored my faith that what I make is good and people will pay money for it. I'm not sure if any of you other creative types feel this way, but sometimes I really struggle with having the self-belief to put myself out there, to say to the world 'I have made this and it is good'. Somehow after all the effort I put in, I always end up seeing the negative in what I've done, so to have people actually pay their own money for it is just great, and has given me the boost I needed.

With that in mind, much of Sunday was spent in a creative daze, though not all of it as successful as I would have preferred. Dabbled in more embroidery, some good, some treading the fine line between shoddy and shoddier!!! But practise makes perfect, so I'll get there I'm sure. Pictures of new designs to follow :-)

In bad news though, my Nana has fallen on some black ice and broken her hip - poor lady. It will be so strange having her in hospital over Christmas and not home with us. Dad was in a bit of a state about it, especially with the divorce coming through this week, and now the holiday he was supposed to be taking with Nana, that he was really looking forward to, may have to be cancelled. Felt so bad for him last night; don't ever hear my dad that upset and it was awful. It's pretty depressing how hateful human beings can be to each other. Gotta always think about the karma, guys! Do good things and good things will happen, I believe it.

Anyway, back to pretending to work while in actual fact I'm enjoying a bit of Black Eyed Peas and typing this blog! Ha ha! Not that I'm being horrifically lazy though; literally all I have to do is sort my email inbox out, and when it's this cold in the office and 2 days away from Christmas holidays, who but the dullest among us could muster the enthusiasm for such a mundane thing?!

More crafting tonight, along with making my now legendary leek and potato soup for the boys. Am I letting the sisterhood down by enjoying that kind of stuff? There's a whole nest of hornets there for you to think about . . .

Peace out and keep it nice!

Pippa

No comments:

Post a Comment